
I've just read an article over at the BBC website about an
American woman's experiences of anti-American sentiments
and downright racism experienced when living in London:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm
As part British, I feel extremely saddened by this young woman's
ordeal in England's Capital whilst at the same time have an
understanding of the British psyche that has brought this about.
This racism (and that's what it is) has been born out of resentment
over the war in Iraq / war on terror / US foreign policy and the UK
government's complicity in this. The UK/US governments might call
their relationship 'special' but the public opinion in the UK indicates
that it is percieved as an unholy alliance. In order to distance themselves
from this complicity in what they see to be injust, British feeling has turned
more anti-American than I have ever witnessed before.
The irony in all this of course is that being anti-American per se is about as
logical as being anti-British since neither US citizens or UK citizens have
control over what their Governments do outside of voting in national
elections. If we blame all Americans for the actions of Bush & Co, then we as
Brits' are also to blame for the actions of Blair et al. Clearly, prejudice and racism
on this basis is without even the shakiest of foundations.
I experienced this kind of racism myself in the 1980's (when I was a young student
I hasten to add!). The 15th April 2006 marked the 20th anniversary of the US
bombing of Libya in which Gaddafi's daughter and many other civilians perished.
At the time, Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher were at the helm of their
respective countries and too enjoyed this 'special relationship'. Consequently, the
bombers were allowed to take off from US air bases in the UK which in itself
caused an uproar from the British public.
Shortly after the bombings, I was booked to travel on holiday to Tunisia in North
Africa which we were told by the Foreign Office advisory information posed no
significant safety threat. However, on more than one occassion I was spat at by
market traders when I responded with my nationality after being asked. We spent
most of the holiday telling local people that we were from Eire (Southern Ireland).
Ironically, I was at the time a member of several anti-war movements and active
on various left-wing anti-government groups. So, you see, I understand Christian
Cox's position. If we are going to express a dislike / resentment, we should direct it
at Governments and their policies and not at the people of that country who are
as powerless as we all are in these situations.
I am now more acutely aware of the need to qualify what I say to make it clear that
any anti-Bush or anti-War opinions I express are not anti-American. In fact, Bush
himself has made clever use of this distinction by implying that being anti-war is being
anti-American as has Blair! I'm sorry Mr. President and Mr.Primeminister - they are
mutually exclusive. I for one am anti-war, anti-Bush and anti-Blair but NOT anti-British or
anti-American.
I hope that we can get the distinction right in the future.
God Save The Queen! and God Bless America!

No comments:
Post a Comment