Sunday, June 10, 2007

'Rock Fever'

A few years ago I lived and worked in the Virgin Islands which was a great experience and a truly beautiful place. However, ex-pats used to refer to the need to leave the islands and visit mainland USA because of 'Rock Fever'. Rock fever was mainly caused by the fact that the islands are tiny places (like large 'Rocks') and tiny communities where everybody just about knows everybody else and nothing very new ever seems to happen (apart from the odd hurricane!). After a while it can become quite claustrophobic hence the need to leave for a while.

Right now I'm suffering from 'ROK' fever (Republic of Korea) in a similar way. Although I've lived in Korea for a few years now, my latest place of residence is much more remote than previously and that coupled with virtually no English speakers is the main cause of this particular brand of ex-pat fever!

Thank God for my blog and blog buddies! I know what you're thinking Don and you'd be right 'here we go again!!' - ha ha.

No comments: