



After several years as an expat' in Asia, I recently discovered a decent bacon
with which to satisfy my early morning apetite. However, last night I downloaded
and watched 3 episodes of the new BBC3 TV show "Kill It, Cook It, Eat It"
(Pork, Beef, Lamb) and I'm not sure that I can face it this morning!
The show is filmed in a working abbertoire with special observation points in
place for a small audience to watch the animals killed, butchered and within
minutes cooked and tasted in a make shift restaurant feet away from the kill.
The butcher and chef even point out that the meat is still warm and difficult
to handle because rigamortis has not yet set in. Surprisingly, most of the
audience have no problem with tucking in and expressing how delicious the
meat is.
I wasn't expecting it to be a pleasant sight and it was actually a lot more
humane and calm than I had been lead to believe by people in the past.
The animal is first stunned and then it's throat cut / bled until it's heart
stops. That was a surprise because I thought the animal was killed in a
second by an electric charge but that actually only stuns the animal before
it is hung and 'bled'.
Anyway, bon appetit!

No comments:
Post a Comment