
I sometimes wonder why expats in Korea continually gripe and
complain about Korean society and lifestyle whilst enjoying
the fruits of the country (which presumably they do or why else
would they be here?). What I find even more surprising is the
fact that the expat lobby chooses to focus on what they percieve
as inadequacies in Korean society whilst ignoring the rather more
dangerous and obvious 'fuck ups' of their own beloved nations. If you don't like
the country guys - go home - but please don't be such bitchy vile
queens! In the words of a very good mate of mine "put up or shut up".
I would like to think that this bitterness stems from the following
rather than anything more sinister - posted way back in 2002 and all
credit to Emptybottle.org.
"I've said it before, and prompted by this unexpected piddling on my
pompadour, I'll say it again. I don't hate Korea. What I loathe with
a white-hot ass-blistering passion is stupidity and greed and cruelty
and incompetence and unfairness and a host of other things that people
do all the goddamned time, all around the goddamned world. If I lived
in Burkina Faso (in the city with the most euphonious name, Ouagadougou),
I'd be complaining about the Ouagadougouns. If I lived back in Canada,
I'd be railing against the cretin up the street and the fuckwits in the
government there. It is in my nature to kick against the pricks. The fact
that those pricks surrounding me are Korean, as an outgrowth of the fact
that I live in Korea, is merely an accident of geography."
Click Here for the original post.
There is an old Korean saying "Jeolyi sileumyon, jungyi tteonanda" which
says that if a Buddhist monk doesn't like the temple he leaves. Meaning
that if you're not happy where you are, don't hang around!

No comments:
Post a Comment