

I'm not usually into sitcoms but I've recently become addicted to a new Britishoffering 'Benidorm'. I think it epitomises the British self-depreciating sense of
humour that is often lost on other nationalities. It features a great cast and is
written and directed excellently in my humble opinion. It also includes a
stereotypical gay couple (above) although that said they actually remind me
of a couple I know! I'm particularily fond of the chain smoking grannie and
'swinging' retirees but all of the characters are easily identifiable as your
next door neighbour or bloke down the pub etc.
I'm sure the script is written at least in part by a gay man as it uses a kind
of ironic humour that queens do so well.
It reminds me of sitting at a quiet bar in Thailand with mostly locals when I
heard a Northern British accent say "come on Vera - welcome to paradise" as
an elderley woman ushered herself, husband and another couple towards the
beach. It brought a big smile to my face at the time and this show captures
all the same humour of the archetypal Brits' abroad.

No comments:
Post a Comment