

I spent some of last night watching Helen Mirren's portrayal of Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II. It was an enjoyable movie from the point of view of
marvelling at Helen Mirren's acting skills while wondering if Tony Blair's
character was supposed to resemble something out of "spitting image" -
a little too comic to be taken seriously. Also, Her Majesty the Queen Mum
(also Queen Elizabeth lets not forget) was played as a cross between Margaret
Rutherford of classic Miss Marples fame and Betty Turpin from Coronation
Street. A very strange mix indeed but worth the watch.
The storyline focussed on the death of the late Princess Diana and associated
crisis in the British monarchy largely because of the feeling that they were
in some part responsible for her demise.
I've never really understood why Diana became almost 'Saint Diana' following
her death. Diana did have her ups and downs like the rest of us and sure she
did some valuable charity work, but then again she was in a position to do so. I
certainly don't think that she deserves the recognition that has been postumously
bestowed upon her.
In fact, Diana was somewhat of a manipulator of the press and to a large degree the
public through the press. When I watched the famous TV interview in which she talks
about Charles's infidelity with Camilla (there were 3 of us in the marriage etc), I
thought that Diana looked absolutely neurotic and almost manic. She struck me as
being hell bent on revenge and quite vindictive / spiteful in nature. Not very endearing
qualities for "The People's Princess".
Diana's death certainly was tragic but the public reaction was totally disproportionate.
But then again the whole world just loves a fairy tale and I think the death of a fairy
tale rather than the death of a Princess is what they were really grieving about.
It was a fairy tale that really only existed in people's minds from the start and now that
she's dead, her legacy seems to be just an extension of that.

No comments:
Post a Comment