
Although I've never been a religious individual (mostly because of the
wholly unacceptable constraints that it usually seeks to place on my
lifestyle), I continue to find myself strangely drawn towards Buddhism.
Having lived in Asia for a while now I've visited many temples whose
enviroment I found calming and strangely 'spiritual'. I've also spoken with
a couple of monks whose whole approach to life left me feeling pretty
happy about life, myself and my relationships with others. It certainly
was a stark contrast to what I had experienced in the past of Roman
Catholic dogma.
So what did Buddha say about homosexuality? Actually nothing. But he did
lay down certain teachings (which of course are open to interpretation) regarding
sexual conduct / misconduct. Thervada Buddhism is probably the most agreeable
to my mind but I've yet to find an actual branch of Buddhism that outlaws queer
love but then again I could be wrong.
Theravada Buddhism:
This is one of the largest divisions of Buddhism. It is also known as
This is one of the largest divisions of Buddhism. It is also known as
the "Southern" School. The Buddha formulated 5 precepts of Right Conduct
One of these is: "I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from
sexual misconduct" The Buddha did not specifically define the term
"sexual misconduct."
However, he did stress the importance of "above all, do no harm to
others or to oneself" Some Buddhists conclude that sexual misconduct
would include adultery, child molestation, incest, rape, sexual abuse in
any form, and sexual harassment. Further, consensual sexual activity by
a committed couple is not misconduct (whether engaged in by a heterosexual
or homosexual couple).
From the Theravada Buddhist standpoint, all relationships: gay, lesbian
or straight, are considered personal matters of mutual consent. If a
relationship promotes the happiness and well-being of both parties, then it is
positive and acceptable.
Many Buddhists believe that sexual orientation is beyond a person's control
as are race and gender. They feel that gays and lesbians should have the same
civil rights and benefits as do all other people.
Buddhist leaders have generally interpreted coercive sex, sexual harassment,
child molestation and adultery to be sexual misconduct. But heterosexual or
homosexual consensual sex within a relationship is acceptable.
Sounds about right to me.....

No comments:
Post a Comment